Module Overview: This module introduces the learners to statics and dynamics principles of fluid flow in pipes.
Learning Outcome By the end of this module:
· The learner should be able to apply fluid dynamics and static principles in determining the quantities of liquids flowing in a pipe at given velocities.
Competence To learner:
· Distinguishes between hydrostatics and hydrodynamics, liquid and gas, solid and fluid.
· Analyses the difference between gravity and specific gravity.
· Determines the bulk modulus of matter.
· Measures pressure using manometer and shows the intensity of pressure at a point in a static fluid.
· Calculates all the variables under static fluid.
· Applies the continuity equation to calculate flow velocity and rate of flow in a pipeline.
· Derives and applies Bernoulli’s equation to solve some practical hydraulic problems.
· Analyses the liquid flow characteristics.
· Designs a pipeline and determines the velocity of flow at the required point in a pipeline or stream.
· Calculates forces in jet of liquid on fixed or moving plates or vanes.
· Determines impact of pressure of water due to deviated flow on pipe wall.
· Determines discharge from a tank and measures the duration taken to empty a tank.
· Measures river discharge and ascertains its flow velocity.
· Constructs open channels. Preparatory Assignment: Prior to beginning of this module, take the learners for a visit at the nearby water treatment plant.
Result: Learners make reports and give presentation in class.